I got going south at 9 am the next morning headed for Annapolis after first calling Jabin Yacht Yard and setting an appointment to have Phywave hauled out first thing on Tuesday morning. From Ford Landing it was another full day of motoring with winds up to 15 kts on the bow retarding my progress and only weak currents that both helped and hurt my progress.
I arrived in the not so great anchorage off Horn Point in Annapolis at around 5 pm, not great because it’s rolly and exposed though the anchor holding is ok. Power boats sometimes don’t obey the “no wake” rules and that adds more rolling around. There were several other boats anchored there, many launching their dinghies to go into town while others chose to taxi the water taxi that will pick you up at your boat. I didn’t bother with that since I’d be ashore soon enough.
My haul out date was Tuesday, October 6, but I could bring the boat over the afternoon before and tie it to one of the long docks alongside the chutes where the travelifts operate so it would be ready to haul first thing in the morning. They wanted it stern-in but without the bow thrusters working, there wasn’t much room for me to rotate the boat so the Jabin crew did that by hand. One reason I like the Jabin yard is they have plenty of people on the job and they know what they’re doing. Unlike Herrington Harbour North (HHN) where I was earlier this year, they will commit to a specfic date to haul or launch a boat. HHN will only commit to “week of” – not very user-friendly. HHN also requires headsails on furlers to be removed before they will put the boat in the yard for fear the sails might unfurl with a strong wind and pull the boat over. Completely unnecessary, as long as the furled sail is held tight with several wraps of the sheets. That sensible approach to headsails is OK at Jabin.
At a little after 8:30 am they were lifting Phywave out of the water and by 9:30 it was in place and blocked, ready for me to start down my list of more than 50 things I need to fix, maintain, buy, or get rid of. I plan to be here until October 30 to get as much of that done as possible. I plan to fly back home on the 31st.
Reflecting on this summer’s sailing, one word describes it: a fiasco. I had to work through multiple serious boat problems, some of which were due to my own complacency and lack of preparation. Having gotten past those, I was fueled and a day away from leaving Hammerfest and starting across the Barents Sea to the Northern Sea Route when the Russians effectively cancelled our permits to transit their Arctic waters. I basically spent my summer sailing to the northern end of Norway and back – not exactly a significant accomplishment. Not much to point to for all the time and effort I put into it. I guess I did sail north of the Arctic Circle so that’s about the only minor accomplishment I can extract from this summer’s sailing.
As for next year, I have the winter to decide what I will do. There are now new moving parts in Russia which sill affect another attempt at an Arctic circumnavigation, and which are too complicated to explain here but which will raise the risk level. It remains fo be seen how it might shake out in the coming months.





